27 May 2008

Weekend Update: Will the Real 180 Please Stand Up?

I think I'm turning Limey, I really think so...

It all started Thursday evening when the heavens let the clouds roll in, along with a cool, north-westerly breeze where temperatures plummeted from the 100's to the 50's.  By Friday, rain filled our broad, arid sky- and I, for one, couldn't have been happier.   Why, you ask?  Because I just bought my first pair of proper wellies.    

I was so excited to splash around in some real puddles that while the children napped, I took some silly photos of me dressed in my rain coat and boots.  And then I did the unthinkable and posted it to Flickr.  Now anyone who follows me knows that I have put maybe 3 self-portraits up total.  I'm not a big fan of being in front of the camera at all.  But I thought it was kind of funny, so I uploaded it.  

Some of you were sweet and commented on my part-Avengers (Thanks, Neilochka) part-Dominatrix (Thanks, Shana) look.  But then there were 414 other people who merely looked at it.  WTF??????  I have to tell you that I am having a hard time computing why I would have so many views of this particular photo.  I mean, I have tons of other photos that are infinitely better and way more interesting.  Why is this one so popular?  Why is this the most viewed photo I have?  ACK!  It's of me.

I normally don't concern myself with page views and stats, but I am shocked.  I don't even know how that many people found it.  My last self-portrait had 39 views which at the time was practically a record breaker, but this takes the cake by a long shot and even beats out my popular photo set of The Beautiful Swedes.  

You might be asking what the big deal is and honestly just know that I'm asking myself the exact same thing.  

Anyway, if you weren't one of the 400 people, you can view it HERE to see what on earth I'm talking about.  

In other news....

The search is over

I am so pleased to report that we finally found a great Mexican restaurant here in Las Vegas.  You wouldn't think it would be this difficult considering we have a good-sized hispanic population- but I've been trying different restaurants for years now and think I may have found "the one" for me.  

It's called La Madonna and is self-described as "avant-garde, authentic mexican food."  Located in SW Las Vegas, everything from the atmosphere and decor, to the friendly staff to the delicious food was perfecto!  I would highly recommend it and intend to take everyone I know to eat there.  A+!  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a website, but I found these good reviews that you can check out here and here for more information.

Longing for cabin fever

Back in February, we bought a tiny cabin in the mountains about 40 minutes outside of Las Vegas at Mt. Charleston.  Why, yes!  We do have trees and elevations all the way up to 7717 feet here.  It's a totally different world, and just a few miles away from the gambling and bright lights of Sin City.  

We'd been looking for a property there for the past several years and had all but given up hope that we'd find a place.  That was until my husband found this little "repo" gem that the bank was practically giving away.   After waiting a month for it to close and then two more months until the snow thawed, we are now finally making some headway with it.  

We don't mind that most people did not see its potential (one person even called it a dump!)  But if there is one thing that my husband and I are both good at- it is being visionaries.  This place will be great when we are through with it!  So to expedite the makeover, we spent the better part of the weekend there with our helpers, "Doug, the drunken plumber" who looks remarkably like this guy:

and Juan & Juan.  It's hard to not automatically think "Dumb and Dumber" when you say their names together, even though they aren't dumb at all.  They are actually really nice guys.


Juan and Juan makes two.   
Juan is the loneliest number... 

Sorry!  I couldn't help myself.  We're really thankful for these guys' help because the cabin needed a lot of work.  It was built in 1945 and has been through quite a bit over the years.  We ripped out the ceiling to expose the 60 year old original beams.  We painted the sexy (ahem) panelling (thanks, Punchline) and took out the carpet to expose nice, wood floors.  We are in the process of building a new bathroom and a dining room.  And we still have to fill the kitchen with all new appliances and find a mantle for the fireplace.  One great thing is that we're emptying our current house of all the excess and taking it up to the cabin (whoo hoo for being a pack rat!)  I guess it might be easier to say what we are not doing.  Hmm... let me think.  Our number one goal is: We are not going to lose its integrity or true character.  

Saying that, I'd like to think that the integrity of our humble mountain abode did not exist in this psychedelic shower. Otherwise, we're in trouble- as it was the first thing to go.

How could anyone shower in that???

Seriously though, it was great being up there this weekend.  It was snowing when we arrived and the air smelled of log fire and pine.  I got to wear my wellies the whole time and breathe the fresh mountain air as I crippled my hand and back painted the door and window trims. The children played outside for hours on end with... wait for it... NO tv. It was wonderful. We actually decided that we won't ever have a tv or computer there. Time will be spent the old fashioned way- reading, hiking, playing games, etc. And the neighbors are all so friendly and down to earth. It is like the exact opposite of the city. It will be the perfect refuge for us.  

And never fear, I will show you more photos once it is all done. In fact, I intend to explore every trail, rock and cave there- booted up and camera snapping. Because I simply must be able to take a photo that 400+ people would like to look at that doesn't include my goofy face in it.  


Photo credit:  Hunter Boots , Toothless Man , La Madonna

19 comments:

Jill - GlossyVeneer said... [Reply to comment]

I think the pictures of you always contain an air of mystery. They're far better than a lot of self-portraits out there, that's why people look. They want to see a real person, and when the shots are beautiful it's even better!

I'm so jealous of your cabin. My husband and I always talk about the idea of having a mountain getaway someday. The fact that it's close means you'll be able to use it more often. I love the "old-fashioned" idea, breaks are infinitely more relaxing when you take a break from some of the technology that proliferates our daily lives. (and I can't believe those words are coming from ME!)

Whiskeymarie said... [Reply to comment]

I know this says a lot about me that is all sorts of wrong...
but I kind of like the shower.

There. I said it.

And I love the photo of you in your wellies. I didn't comment on it just now, so add one more to the 400+ number.
;)

180/360 said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations to the those of you who managed to read through the whole post. Sorry this is SO long! I'll try to shorten things up in the future or at least spread them out. GOOD GRIEF!

Jill- We love that it is so close. I can't imagine driving for 2 hours or more to get to Brianhead or Mammoth.

Whiskeymarie- The shower was definitely funky. If it's the tile you like, well there's more of that in the kitchen, which will remain there for the time being.

punchlinewalking said... [Reply to comment]

I love the picture of you! I've always wanted to buy some wellies but I can never figure out when and where I'd wear them. I wished you lived closer, cause I could use some sassy head shots!

Also, I'm so so so jealous of your mountain cabin and I can't wait to see pictures (I also kinda liked the shower, but understand getting changing it. We have a bathroom that is wallpapered with airplane maps, which was charming at first and now I can't WAIT to get rid of.)

Angella said... [Reply to comment]

Holy hotness, Batman!

I was offline for two days and am still catching up...

Congrats on the cabin! We had one...then sold it. Long story, but I miss it sometimes. Enjoy!

Mrs. K said... [Reply to comment]

I love the picture! love it! you sexy kinky momma you! lol

Stepping over the Junk said... [Reply to comment]

I saw your pics and on some of them couldnt leave a comment for some reason (doesnt give me the option to) even though some people have commented. that may be why? Also, you are a brilliant photographer and beauty on the other side of the lense as well, it is neat to see you! Have you taken photos of the cabin?

gorillabuns said... [Reply to comment]

Maybe some of the pervs were too busy jacking-off to comment on your ultra hot picture. I'm with jill, you do have an air of mystery in your pics and your beautiful as well.

a cabin without t.v. and internet? what a wonderful get-away. I can't wait to see pictures of your relaxing home away from home.

sassy said... [Reply to comment]

Hehe glad you found a good Mexican restaraunt, maybe that will save me from years of searching. (:

And hey, lost post? I didn't even notice it was long. Probably because I'm such a rambler myself.

Jason said... [Reply to comment]

Your suffering has ended....I can't imagine life without good Mexican restaurants nearby.

minijonb said... [Reply to comment]

don't be afraid of your inner-anglophile.

Retro Bakery said... [Reply to comment]

UMMM...I liked the shower, too!!! It's VERY RETRO.
But I understand....

180/360 said... [Reply to comment]

Everyone: Thanks for all the nice comments about the photo. I'm still a bit creeped out by it. It would be so much better if it wasn't me! Anyway...

Retro Shower Lovers: The other problem with the shower was that it opened out to the front door of the cabin. So i you stepped out of the shower you would be standing in the entry way and in to the kitchen. It was ridiculous. We had to switch the whole area around and enclose the shower and toilet.

Angella- You live in the sticks! Why would you need a cabin?!! :)

Gorillabuns- HAHA!!! That is so funny. And gross.

RetroBakery- I intend to make a stop at the bakery and load up on cupcakes one of these days since I keep passing by it! Hope business is going well.

alphadaddy said... [Reply to comment]

Just looked; you're up to 516 views. Hard to say, but I'm guessing somebody perhaps submitted it to one of those stumble-upon sites. That usually generates quite a few hits.

A cabin in the woods would be nice..it's good to escape an urban environment to get some fresh air some times. I'm jealous.

I live in Seattle. I'm sure the local Mexican restaurants I consider to be good are nothing compared to what you have down there. Our Canadian cuisine, on the other hand, blows yours out of the water (mmm...poutine and Molson)

180/360 said... [Reply to comment]

Alphadaddy- Maybe you are right about the Stumble-Upon type thing. I'm not familiar with those types of sites. I've also never heard of Canadian cuisine EVER. I will have to check it out! :)

Guilty Secret said... [Reply to comment]

I am thinking the views shot up after someone left a comment with the word 'dominatrix' on it.

Cool photo ;)

A Mom Two Boys said... [Reply to comment]

In all my impatience, I went right over to Flickr and dug around until I found the photo. Then came back and continued reading...and got to the link to it.

Duh. It's a cool shot, none-the-less. And that OTHER one...HAWT.

Connie said... [Reply to comment]

Good Mexican Food is very, very important.

It is so hard to find in Utah that I have learned to make my own.

Neil said... [Reply to comment]

I'm going to try to be polite here and not call you a naive idiot, but do you really need to ASK why this was your most popular photo?

Gorillabuns -- I don't appreciate being called a perve.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails